Congratulations on getting your Ontario drivers license! Now you’re allowed to drive a car on the road as newly licensed driver.

Of course, you also need a valid owner’s permit and license plate on your car, as well as proper car insurance. And you must obey traffic laws and drive safely. (More detail: )

Ontario drivers licence

As newly licensed driver, did you know that Ontario has different types of drivers license with different rules to follow?

Ontario drivers licence system is called the Graduated Licensing System (GLS). As the name implies, it’s designed to let new drivers gradually gain experience over time. The drivers licences are divided into 3 levels: G1, G2, and G. We are going to explain the differences here.

The first licence you can get is the G1, or the learner’s permit. You have to be at least 16 years old and pass an eye test. You must also pass a written test to show that you know the rules of the road and traffic signs. Be aware that the G1 licence comes with many restrictions for driving on the road. Check the Ministry of Transportation of Ontario (MTO) website for the details.

The next step is to get the G2 licence. You need 12 months of practice with your G1 licence before you can attempt to take the G1 road test and get your G2. However, if you complete a driver-education course from an MTO-approved driving school, you can attempt your road test after only 8 months.

A proper course at a driving school won’t only teach you basic driving skills, it will also help you build confidence on the road and learn a lot about safe driving. To qualify for taking the G1 road test sooner, you must choose a school approved by the MTO, and the course should include at least 40 hours of training. These 40 hours should include at least 20 hours of classroom instruction, 10 hours of behind-the-wheel driving lessons, and 10 hours of workbook assignments.

Auto insurance for newly licensed driver

After completing your beginner driver-education course with your G1 licence, you will be able to get a copy of your driver’s license history from Service Ontario. It shows the completion date of your course and serves as proof of your driver education when you buy auto insurance.

Most insurance companies offer driver-training discounts to save you money. You can also consult a car insurance broker to find out about the discounts offered by different insurance companies.

After getting your G2 licence, you will need at least 12 months of practice before taking the G2 road test, which covers more advanced skills such as highway driving and parallel parking. The G2 licence also has some restrictions and requirements. Again, you should check the MTO website for details. Once you pass the G2 road test, you will be awarded your full G license. You’re finished!

Be aware that you only have 5 years to complete the whole process from getting your G1 to obtaining your G licence. If you don’t complete all three levels within 5 years, your G1 and G2 will be voided and you will have to start the process all over again.

After getting a G licence, you may want to buy your own car, which means you will also have to buy insurance. Student drivers are required to get student car insurance.  You can get a discount by combining different types of insurance.

It’s a good idea to find a professional car insurance broker to help you explore all of your options and get affordable car insurance. Please contact us at CIS Insurance Brokers. Our brokers speak Mandarin, Cantonese, and English and have years of experience helping clients find exactly what they need.

CIS Insurance Brokers
505 Hwy 7, Suite 328
Thornhill, ON L3T 7T1

call 647-424-1558  for best quote & solution